How old must my child be to start Kindergarten?
Any child who attains the age of 5 on or before August 31 of the school year is eligible to attend kindergarten in the state of Kansas. Also, any child who was a resident in another state and was enrolled in and attended kindergarten is eligible for kindergarten in Kansas, regardless of the child's age.
What are the Kansas state immunization requirements?
Kansas law requires students must show proof of having all age appropriate immunizations to attend school. Immunization records from a licensed doctor or health department will be accepted for this requirement. Click here to view required immunizations.
What records and documents will I need to enroll my child in school?
School enrollments typically take place at the school building your student will be attending. Parents are strongly encouraged to bring photocopies of all academic records with them whenever they PCS to a new duty station (do not put these with your household goods).
The following records are required at the time of your student's enrollment:
* Child Health Assessment (physical examination) - Children age 8 or under, enrolling in a Kansas school for the first time, will be required to present results of a child Health Assessment to have been completed within 12 months of school entry or within 90 days after school entry. This alos applies to preschool children entering school for the first time. Parents are strongly encouraged to make appointments early for completion of the Health Assessment prior to the first day of school.
* Kansas Certificate of Immunization Card (KCI)
* Grade cards, certified transcripts, Special Education IEPs, or similar record or data of previous school attendance.
* Proof of identity (birth certificate, passport, driver's license).
* Kindergarten students need: birth certificate, official hospital record or other official document of birth, the Health Assessment Form and a Kansas Certificate of Immunization.
* First grade students who have not attended an accredited kindergarten need the same documents as listed above.
* The Kansas State High School Activities Association Sports Physical is required for High School athletic participation. This form must be completed after May 1st for the present school year. Click here to view sports physical form.